State Health Insurance & Assistance
Local Help for People with Medicare
Cape May County Division of Aging and Disability Services has experienced State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) counselors who offer free and confidential one-on-one counseling and assistance making health care choices for people with Medicare. We are here to educate, advocate, counsel and empower Medicare beneficiaries to make informed health care decisions in choosing health insurance to meet your needs.
SHIP counselors also provide information and assistance for beneficiaries with limited income and resources in applying for extra help paying for prescriptions and Medicare Part B premiums and special benefits programs.
If you are a Medicare beneficiary who feels overwhelmed by health and prescription insurance plan choices, need assistance in choosing the right coverage, have questions about a claim, SHIP counselors are ready and willing to provide free and personalized help answering your questions.
Administration & Funding
The State Health Insurance Assistance Program is a statewide program administered by the New Jersey Department of Human Services-Division of Aging Services, with financial assistance through a grant from the U.S. Administration for Community Living (ACL), and supported by the Cape May County Board of Commissioners.
We provide assistance with:
- Hearing Aid Assistance
- Medicare Part B Premium Savings
- Maximum Annual Income for a couple - $24,719 (gross income) and asset limit $12,600
- Maximum Annual Income for an individual - $18,347 (gross income) and asset limit $8,400
- Medigap, Medicare Advantage Plans, Medicare Prescription Plans (Medicare Part D)
- Prescription Assistance Programs - PAAD and Senior Gold
- NJ Department of Community Affairs
- Income Guidelines
- Lifeline Utility Assistance
- LIHEAP (Low-Income Energy Assistance)
- Universal Service Funds