Please note that if a tick has been attached to a person for less than 24 hours, the risk of that person acquiring Lyme disease, even if the tick is carrying the disease, is extremely low. If you are concerned that you may have been exposed to a tick-borne disease, please contact your personal physician.
- Analytic Services (Williston, Vermont)
- Phone: 800-723-4432
- As of April 2012, ASI charges $65 per tick (dead or alive) for identification and PCR testing for Lyme disease (B. burgdorferi).
- IGeneX (Palo Alto, California)
- Phone: 800-832-3200
- As of May 24, 2005, the lab provides tick testing for Lyme, babesiosis, and ehrlichiosis, each for $60 per tick.
- Imugen Labs (Norwood, Massachusetts)
- MDL (Hamilton, New Jersey)
- Phone: 877-269-0090
- As of May 24, 2005, the lab provides tick testing for Lyme, babesiosis, and ehrlichiosis. Call for cost information.
- New Jersey Laboratories (New Brunswick, NJ)
- Phone: 732-249-0148, 877-TICK-TEST
- Culture: $60, freshly dead or alive with no chemicals used to remove tick, Lyme disease
- PCR: $175, dead or alive
The Cape May County Department of Health website has information (PDF)
that may help you identify most ticks.