Cape May County Department of Health is reporting that a 30-year-old man from New York City tested positive at a local health care facility for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) while visiting Cape May County.
This information is a vivid reminder that out-of-state visitors should stay home and not travel to the County during this pandemic outbreak. Now is not the time to travel, but to remain vigilant in following recommendations for social distancing and isolation.
Please be assured that the Health Department has been working diligently to prevent the spread of COVID-19. We have been in constant communication with all of our local partners and stakeholders in collaboration with the New Jersey Department of Health.
The Health Department would like to remind you of basic preventative actions that should be followed during this pandemic. As per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, please be sure that you:
- Practice handwashing regularly for at least 20 seconds
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Stay home when you are sick, and avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Keep a distance of at least 6 feet with people who are coughing or sneezing
- Avoid unnecessary physical contact, such as handshaking
- Avoid unnecessary travel, attending crowded events and social gatherings
Consider replacing in-person gatherings with video chatting, voice messaging and phone calls. Please note that testing is only available for individuals who are sick. Symptoms include a fever of more than 100.4, coughing, and shortness of breath. The Health Department does not test for COVID-19.Testing can be done through medical providers; contact your healthcare provider to see if you are eligible for testing.
Stay up to date on the current situation as it evolves. Some reliable sources are New Jersey Poison Information and Education System hotline at 1-800-222-1222, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.cdc.gov, the World Health Organization at www.who.int, the New Jersey Department of Health at www.nj.gov/health . For additional information visit Cape May County Department of Health at www.cmchealth.net, also like us on Facebook.