Cape May County Government is taking the next steps to ensure the safety of its workers and the public during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Cape May County Freeholder Director Gerald M. Thornton has enacted a plan to reduce staffing across various departments and close other departments completely, effective close of business on Thursday, March 19.
All County employees are deemed essential personnel, but this plan is focused on the essential tasks of County government that must be performed. Departments that provide critical services will remain open. Department heads and key staff that can work from home will be asked to do so when they are not in the office.
“This is the next step we have to take to flatten the curve,” said Thornton. “We have tried to pare down our staff to keep as many people home as we can. There are a number of tasks that must be performed by County government and we will ensure those continue.”
The County had already sent home workers who are responsible for school-aged children after the mandated school closure across the County on Tuesday. Also, all employees that were advised to stay home by a doctor due to potential exposure with COVID-19 have also been kept home.
“Our staff has stepped up like they always do, in the wake of this outbreak,” said Thornton. “We will continue to provide those vital services like Health Department services, Meals on Wheels, Central Dispatch, and more during this time. But it is time to keep more employees home, which will help the social distancing for those who must come into work.”