The County of Cape May Department of Health is reporting 6 new positive cases among County residents, Additionally, there is 1 new out of county positive case that is included in the Non-resident Active Cases listed below.
Total positive cases of COVID-19 infection in Cape May County is now 1489 including 94 deaths.
Know How COVID-19 Spreads
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet) and through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
Some recent studies have suggested that COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms.
Steps To Protect Yourself and Others
- Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care. Learn what to do if you are sick.
- Face coverings are required in indoor public spaces and in outdoor public spaces when social distancing is difficult to maintain.
- Keep six feet between yourself and others whenever possible and avoid crowded areas.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces. For more, see the CDC's guidelines on how to properly clean and disinfect.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Stay up to date on the current situation as it evolves. Some reliable sources are New Jersey Poison Information and Education System Hotline at 211 or 1-800-962-1253, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.cdc.gov, World Health Organization at www.who.int, New Jersey Department of Health at COVID19.nj.gov. For additional information visit Cape May County Department of Health at www.cmchealth.net and also like us on Facebook.